Sunday, March 29, 2009

My country's wonders...

It is a common thing to desire to see the exotic, and being far from home can add an element of that exotic nature to what you are experiencing when you travel. After backpacking through Europe for three months last summer, I've been feeling a lot of guilt about the fact that I have now seen much more than Europe than I have of my own country. I have very rarely traveled off of the east coast in the US. I know there is so much to see of this country, so I decided to do a little exploration into what I would like to see. I think I'll plan a road trip for some time in the near future... it sounds so much more simple than backpacks, buses, trains and different languages! Here are some of the wonders (some well-known, others not) of our country that I would love to experience some day:

"The Wave" is a landscape that lies at the border between Arizona and Utah. The formations are 190 million year old dunes that have hardened into rock. These are very little-known features, as very limited access is allowed. You have to apply for a permit to enter at least 3 months in advance, and it is a four mile hike to actually get there.

And of course... the Grand Canyon. I still haven't seen it. This would definitely be a stop on my tour.


2200 year old trees that can reach 380 meters in height?!? I'm so there.


All things Yellowstone: There are so many amazing features at Yellowstone National Park that I would love to see. To me, the most fascinating are those in which water is able to trickle down to the depths of the Earth where it become superheated and infused with carbon dioxide and limestone. The above pictures represent two of the consequences of this process. The hot springs are colorful due to the various forms of microorganisms living in the water. The picture above that is travertine formed by the infusion and then release of carbon dioxide and limestone once water reaches the surface once again. These travertine layers will continue to form as time goes by.

Yosemite Falls: the tallest waterfall in the US. It has shaped the landscape of the Sierra Nevada.

I think that the natural wonders of the United States are the ones that I would more likely travel to see. We have such a beautifully diverse landscape in this country, and many of its features are unique to this land. There are many cultural/architectural things I would like to see as well, but I know that land features amaze me much more than the things that can usually be replicated. We have only one Earth. I'm ready to plan my road trip of the US!

2 comments:

  1. The first two pictures remind me of a place called Canyon de Chelly that I went to last summer in Arizona. It's got the same swirled stone and even has a Native American dwelling carved into its walls at the bottom. It's a national park so you should definitely check it out if you make it out west some time. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow! "The Wave" looks so amazing, and HUGE! I've never heard of that landscape before. I would love to see that.

    ReplyDelete