Monday, April 6, 2009

Wooden Corvettes

My roommate is a crafts major at VCU, and one of her material studies of choice is wood. She makes beautiful and very intricate little boxes and bowls that have been accumulating on the shelves throughout our apartment. She gets the lids to fit so tightly and perfectly that it is just a wonder how she does it. In her woodworking, she doesn't always create a smooth finish, but rather she often leaves a layer of the natural bark somewhere in her work. This is one of the most unique elements of her woodworking style, in my opinion. Being around her art and the tools she uses to work the wood has given me a much greater appreciation for the time, creativity and effort that goes into intricate woodworking. So when I stumbled upon this artist, I was really in awe with the depth, elaborate nature and sheer size of his work. Unfortunately, on the website where I found his artwork, I was unable to find anything about the artist, although he does appear in some of the photos. I would love to give credit to this very creative artist:



I think the fact that a lot of this art is utilitarian is another amazing asset to it. While a lot of it is useful, it is in very unconventional ways. Carving a car-boat out of wood that can actually function in the water? That is just ingenious. This artist really provokes wonder in the way he engineers his woodworking so creatively and uniquely.

2 comments:

  1. Very cool! that little sidetable is amazing. I've always had a slight desire to do woodworking-type things. i think the outcome is just beautiful!
    Its amazing that he is able to make fuctioning things!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I wish I could do something half as remarkable as that man! I about nearly fell out of my chair laughing at the Cinderella carriage! This is absolutely amazing to make such whimsical, and working, items!

    ReplyDelete