Monday, March 2, 2009

Architecture Goes Green!

My dad is a project manager for a construction company based in DC. He has recently been involved in the construction of a few buildings with green roofs. I think this is such a great way to utilize urban spaces to combat, even if in very miniscule ways, the issue of global warming and all the trees that are being lost daily. I looked into the different ways that environmental engineers are coming up with to convert urban spaces into "green" spaces, and I found some really cool and creative projects!


The two photos above are of a shop in Seoul, South Korea, and their idea was to incorporate nature into their retail space while also being environmentally friendly.

The link where I found the photos above




This is a building that has been proposed that would make it possible to farm in urban spaces. There are other examples of similar structures that have been proposed to serve the same function here.


This is an example of a green roof that is on top of the City Hall in Chicago. It all started here! This trend is very innovative and people's fascination with this type of architecture is raising awareness with an issue that is becoming of utmost importance on our Earth. These are beautiful oases in otherwise very un-green cities.

3 comments:

  1. I saw a green roof on a house in a home show in Virginia Beach. It was really amazing and now I really want one whenever I get my own house. I especially like it because in addition to being interested in going green, I'm also really into gardening. The same house also had really beautiful bamboo floors which are supposed to be really environmentally friendly.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think these buildings look even better than the regular buildings, and it helps that they are environmental friendly!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I just stopped by a garden center and they had a section of plants called "steppables" that made me think of this post. They are basically plants that can be walked on which are an environmentally friendly way to keep down weeds and reduce water runoff. They rate them on the level of traffic that they can withstand. I thought this was an interesting alternative to grass for garden paths, etc.

    ReplyDelete