Monday, February 16, 2009

PhilInTheCircle

A while back, a friend of mine showed me a video on youtube of the work that this guy does. He calls himself "PhilInTheCircle." Here is the first video I saw of his work:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bxabHg--WBE

I decided that this post would be a good time to mention his work, as it relates to the last post I did on the intricacies and time-consuming nature of Pooktre tree molding. What Philinthecircle does is extremely time-consuming and innovative, and the most striking this about his work, giving it the title "goodbye art" is the fact that he destroys most of his artwork moments after completing it. This also relates to a post that someone (I can't remember who!) did about the sidewalk chalk murals. The rain just washes it away. It may take him hours upon hours or even days or weeks to complete, but then it is destroyed in an instant. Here are some examples of his work:

This video shows a sequence of a year worth of "Goodbye Art. It shows clips of both its creation and its destruction.


I think the intricacy and the willingness to destroy is what is amazing and wonderful about this artist. I haven't heard of many artists who are willing to destroy their creation and their time in such a way. However, he is extremely popular for what he does so I guess he gets something out of it! I just can't conceive of having the patience to do things with this level of intricacy. I get impatient doing a paint by number. I couldn't imagine spending such long periods of time doing such detailed work. I think it would hurt my eyes and my brain. He doesn't destroy all of his artwork. Another aspect of his work are the different, funky, and non-conventional medium he uses in his pieces. Here are some of his other works that showcase his non-conventional mediums:



This painting of Lance Armstrong was done by dripping paint on the wheels of a tricycle and riding all over the canvas.


Graphite on Starbucks cups.

Made with peanut butter and jelly on bread.

Made of dandelions. He did each of the frames separately and then put them all together with 24 frames in all.

All of these examples and more can be found at http://www.philinthecircle.com

1 comment:

  1. How cool!!! I love the tricycle method! I think that innovative forms and ideas about art are so wonderful. Not being an art student, i had never explored these fields; i just summed "art" up as fitting into the catagories that are displayed in museums. But these ideas/practices,(like phil in the circle and sidewalk-chalk art)are incredible!
    Thanks for posting this =)

    ReplyDelete